- Legal & regulatory barriers toolkit
The OptTEST legal & regulatory barriers toolkit, available in full by Spring 2017, is of use to anyone who wants to dismantle such barriers in their own country. Each piece of the toolkit is separately downloadable and the ideas within them adaptable to differing country circumstances.
These tip sheets sometimes refer to the OptTEST case studies and should be used in conjunction with these, which illustrate practical applications of the tip sheet suggestions. They have been written for a European audience but aspects of them may be applicable more widely and for other health campaigns.
- Simple principles for effective campaigning on legislative or regulatory change
- What types of legal and regulatory barriers are common and how do they damage access?
- What are the new testing strategies and where are they working?
- How can I identify and verify local barriers to testing and treatment access?
- How can I construct or compare a continuum of care?
- How can we do a simple, quick, low cost but robust survey of an issue?
- How and where do I find evidence for a change in policy?
- How can we build alliances between community, clinicians and public health?
- How should we present our case to decision-makers and politicians?
- Influencing at conferences and other events
- Questions you should ask yourself (and be able to answer) before you ask to meet with a Government Minister
- What can we do when politicians ignore the evidence?
Case studies on innovative advocacy strategies based on interviews with stakeholders:
- Getting equal and free HIV treatment for undocumented migrants in England
- Organising a Europe-wide coalition to raise the profile of HIV testing (European HIV Testing Week)
- Gaining access to PrEP in France
- Removing sex work regulations in Greece
- Changing drugs laws in Portugal to prioritise public health
- Repealing bad criminal law on HIV in Denmark
- Mitigating criminalisation of HIV transmission: England & Wales
- Criminalisation law reform in the Netherlands
- Meeting the challenge of restrictive testing regulations in the Ukraine
The database is currently being finalized, but can be accessed via http://dev.ecp-geo.nam.org.uk/ write to Julian Hows from GNP+ (email@example.com) to obtain a password.
Want to know what legal and regulatory barriers countries in Europe are putting in the way of better HIV testing and treatment? Want to compare yours and others? Barring The Way To Health is a searchable database of barriers to HIV testing and care across Europe and Central Asia. You can pull out a particular issue that concerns you, read about a particular country, comment and offer updates.
- Country examples of how to address barriers
Several national PLHIV networks are engaged in local demonstration projects - and lessons-learned reports from these national projects will soon be available here:
- Portugal addressing stigma in primary care.
- Poland addressing non-disclosure due to fear of stigma working to create an ‘empowered’ patient group
- Greece has identified problems with access to treatment in prisons. The stigma index collection will identify barriers, opportunities, and challenges – and the way this has /might be overcome within.
- Estonia - empowered patient programme
- Germany – still under discussion